Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Forget Yourself

My "ah-ha!" moment happened yesterday.

I was sitting in the park enjoying the most glorious sunshine and reading a book called "My Left Foot"by Christy Brown (a most fabulous book by the way, I suggest it for reading to anyone). The story is basically an autobiography of Christy Brown's life. He typed the whole book on a manual typewriter, one letter at a time with the pinky-toe of his left foot since that is all he could really move. Truly inspiring book.

Anywho...

For some time I have been pondering on what it means when Christ promises "whosoever will lose his life for my sake, shall find it" (Matt. 16:25). I know that's the key to true happiness and joy in life. Pondering, pondering on what losing my life for His sake means. I kinda had an idea that it referred to service, but I had tried just doing service and I didn't find the happiness that this verse promises.

Then, I read this passage in the book:

"I had come to know myself better because I had learned to express myself [through painting]...Yet it wasn't just painting that made me so happy; that in itself would not have been sufficient. It was the fact that I painted, not just to please myself, but to please someone else: the feeling of being useful, of painting my pictures for somebody..." (pg. 62).

WHABAM! Like a hammer on a nail my epiphany hit me! That was it! The idea is to use my talents and abilities to please others, not myself. It's more of a direction of focus than an act or periodical occurrence. Like Christy states, "I was changing. I didn't know it then, but I had found a way to be happy again and to forget some of the things that had made me unhappy. Above all I learned to forget myself" (pg. 56).

The idea is to spend more time in my thoughts end efforts paying attention to those around me and their needs, focusing on what I can do for them, making them smile the goal of each day. That's how I'll find my life, and the happiness that comes with it. If I can work so vigorously on learning something so that I can please others and brighten their day, that is when I will have life. I won't find myself, or happiness, if I spend a majority of my time thinking about myself, what classes I'm taking, when I'm going to graduate, where I want to work, how I'm going to get my homework done, what I want to do for the rest of my life, where I want to live, etc.

I will find my life when I learn how to lose it for Christ's sake; when I spend more time thinking about what I can do to help __(insert name here)___ be happy, more confident, and feel appreciated. That's my goal, starting now and working through the summer. I'm going to spend at least 65% of my waking moments with my thoughts focused on what I can do or learn so that I can help brighten someone else's day.

I think that is what Christ meant when He said "whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."

1 comment:

life.greatest.treasure

My Favorite Quotes

"A wise man once said do not ask for a light load, but rather for a strong back." - Unknown

"Well you think that you can take me on, you must be crazy. There ain't a single thing you got that's gonna phase me." - Song by Bryan Adams featured in the film Spirit.

"Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is." - Albert Camus

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." — Anaïs Nin

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." — Oscar Wilde

"A summit is a symbol that with the force of our will and the power of our legs, our backs and our two hands, we can transform our lives into whatever we choose them to be, whatever our hands are strong enough to create." - Erik Weinhenmayer