Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Quot-a-licious!

Ok, I'm a total sucker for a good quote, and I came upon some today in my internet wanderings that I really liked:

“Most people would rather be certain they're miserable, than risk being happy.”
Robert Anthony


This one's interesting to me, because who honestly tells themselves to be miserable and not happy? No one I know of! But a lot of the things we do in life, or the things we hold on to, make us miserable. I don't know about you, but when I'm irritated, or angry if I really take a step back in my head and say "Woah, there's really no need for this, it's ok" another part of me is screaming "But I deserve to be angry." Then the battle commences between what I know I should do (calm down, let it go, and replace the hurt, anger, irritation, or whatever it is with love and respect) and what my body wants to do (be hurt, angry, irritated, etc).                                                  rISks
When am I happiest? Usually when I'm taking a chance, learning something new, swallowing my pride, sitting on my selfishness, or risking embarrassing myself.  Maybe happiness is the risk; the risk of believing someone else, the chance of trusting others and letting them in.

“Nothing is miserable unless you think it so;
 on the other hand, nothing brings happiness unless you are content with it.”
 Boethius


Am I in control of myself? I mean, really in control? Can I go through something sad and yet make myself see the good and not the bad in it? Do I control every move and action I make or do I let the "natural man" take over sometimes? I guess the real question is: Who controls me? My body or my spirit? It's an interesting thought. I honestly do not believe that happiness comes in the form of nice cars, decorated houses, fashionable clothing, or money in the bank. Sure, those things are nice and make life more comfortable, but they don't make us happy. Nothing can make me happy, I must choose to be happy.                              AgENcY.
Clearly, I'm not perfect, so I will mess up. I will allow my situation or environment to get the better of me sometimes.  I think the point is though, to keep trying. Not ignore the emotion, but control how I react to it.

If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded.
-- Maya Angelou



I believe that success in life is measured by the number of people you truly care about. The number of people you would willingly take a bullet for, give your last bit of food to, give your blanket to in the freezing winter, carry across a frozen stream, to die for, to risk being hurt so they can learn, and to live for.                                                          lOvE.

Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure.
-- Don Wilder


Making excuses for not doing something I know I should, sets me up for failure. I should say "hi" to so-and-so, but what if so-and-so doesn't know who I am? BOOM! Did not make a friend.  I should go to ward 'stare,' but what's the point, I have a boy? BOOM! Did not do my part in sustaining the leaders who run it. I should tell so-and-so she looks great today, but what if she thinks I'm retarded or something? BOOM! Lost a chance to help lift someone up. I could go on and on, but really, I think I've made my point. One of the best examples I can think of comes from the account of King David in the Bible. He was the king, and he was at war with another nation. He should have been on the battlefield leading his troops, but he found some excuse to stay in his comfortable palace. It may have been a great excuse too, like I have to serve my people here, or I have my kingly duties that need to be done. But, the fact of the matter is, no matter how good of an excuse he gave for staying in his palace, he was not where he should have been. Then a whole series of temptations hit him, and he gave in. He committed adultery then murder. He lost his place in the Kingdom of God.
We never know what chain of events will be started by our decision to not do something we know we should. So I am going to make that a focus for this month, don't make excuses and do what I know I should be doing.                                                 nO EXcuSeS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

life.greatest.treasure

My Favorite Quotes

"A wise man once said do not ask for a light load, but rather for a strong back." - Unknown

"Well you think that you can take me on, you must be crazy. There ain't a single thing you got that's gonna phase me." - Song by Bryan Adams featured in the film Spirit.

"Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is." - Albert Camus

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." — Anaïs Nin

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." — Oscar Wilde

"A summit is a symbol that with the force of our will and the power of our legs, our backs and our two hands, we can transform our lives into whatever we choose them to be, whatever our hands are strong enough to create." - Erik Weinhenmayer