Beyond my parents, I always tried to do what God wanted me to do. I don't think I really understood the concept though. What I wanted was for God to tell me what to do, and then I knew I would do it. The problem with that though, is that I now think that part of this life is learning to make our own decisions that are in accordance with God's will, and not do things because God gives us specific directions in everything we need to do. I think that God has given each of us the tools we need to make decisions (He gave us agency as well as the Light of Christ). In addition to that, He has given me the Gift of the Holy Ghost to have with me at all times if I am righteous. Thus He has given me everything I need to make my own decisions.
This is a new concept for me, I am not sure if I have ever asked myself what I want. So, what do I want? I'm not entirely sure. How can I make a decision if I don't know what I want? I mean, I could make a good decision based off of what I know my parents, God, or other people want. But what is the best decision? I guess that's what I want; to make the best decision I can, and in order to do so I need to know what I truly desire.
I need to find out where my heart is.
How?
I honestly do not know, but I am going to find out...somehow.
I love this journey and everything in it. So much. Life is filled with so many wonderful experiences and learning opportunities. Some may be hard, some may hurt, some may tear me apart, but God changes me in each situation so I come out of it stronger. He knows the perfect balance I need so that the joyous experiences which promote little learning always balance out the difficult experiences of much growth so that I can go on in life with a hope for the future.
Funny I should read this when I was contemplating a very big decision of my own. I think I do the same thing with decisions. I want someone to tell me what the "right" decision is, and then I'll do it. However, it's like what my bishop back home said. Sometimes we have to make the decisions on our own, doing everything we can to make the correct one, and then God will make our crooked paths straight. It requires a great deal of faith, though, and courage. Courage to trust ourselves.
ReplyDelete