Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Influences

I have been contemplating something I heard recently, and it's hung like a nimbus since I heard it this last week. It came from a book that I was listening to on CD during a long drove. I don't remember the exact phrase, but a boy was talking about how he took this girl from the past (indian times) to a movie in his day. He didn't want to take her to anything gorey or scary, so he ended up taking her to E.T., a perfect movie as he saw.

(I've never seen the movie, so I'm not sure what this next part is talking about, but maybe you'll follow). At one point, they swore and did something only "slightly" crude that he thought was perfectly fine, yet she ran out with hands over her face and tears streaming down her face. When this boy caught up to her, she was crying, "how could you watch something so horrible?!"

That made me wonder how many crude, unrefined, degrading, inappropriate, or negative moments or scenes I allow in the movies I watch. How many times have I watched movies with these "little" things within them that push the Spirit of God away?

More than I should, I'm sure.

I read something in a talk by Ezra Taft Benson in the September 1988 Ensign, that hit me:

"We would do well to follow the counsel of John Wesley’s mother: 'Avoid whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, takes off your relish for spiritual things, … increases the authority of the body over the mind.'"

Everything we say, listen to, watch, see, or do has an influence on us. I remember when I was younger complaining to my parents that what movies or music I listened to had no impact on me. But I didn't understand. It does have an influence on me. Every bit of it. The question is whether or not it is a good influence or a bad.
That is the question, and that is what is so much harder to see.

3 comments:

  1. Very inspiring. Now this has got me thinking. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. This very idea occurred to me shortly after Liam was born. Freddie and I were watching a show on T.V., something we had been watching for a few seasons, when something mildly crude was said. I would probably have never noticed it except Liam was sleeping in my arms and the juxtaposition between the sweet angel I was cuddling and the offensive (no matter how mild) dialogged on T.V. was astounding. Since then we have really tried to pay closer attention to the media we allow into our home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tennis Shoes among the Nephites (I win).

    oh, and I like the message, too...

    ReplyDelete

life.greatest.treasure

My Favorite Quotes

"A wise man once said do not ask for a light load, but rather for a strong back." - Unknown

"Well you think that you can take me on, you must be crazy. There ain't a single thing you got that's gonna phase me." - Song by Bryan Adams featured in the film Spirit.

"Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is." - Albert Camus

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." — Anaïs Nin

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." — Oscar Wilde

"A summit is a symbol that with the force of our will and the power of our legs, our backs and our two hands, we can transform our lives into whatever we choose them to be, whatever our hands are strong enough to create." - Erik Weinhenmayer